It is possible to use paper towels as coffee filters, but it is not recommended for several reasons.
- Absorbency: Paper towels are designed to absorb liquid and may absorb too much of the coffee, resulting in a weak and watery brew.
- Quality: Paper towels are not specifically designed for coffee filters and may contain chemicals or fragrances that can affect the taste and quality of your coffee.
- Size and shape: Paper towels are not the same size and shape as coffee filters, which can make it difficult to fit them into your coffee maker.
- Toxicity: Some paper towels may contain chemicals or dyes that could be toxic when consumed.
- Quality: Paper towels are not specifically designed for coffee filters and may not be able to effectively trap coffee grounds, sediment and oils.
It’s always best to use a coffee filter that is specifically designed for brewing coffee. Unbleached paper filters or metal filters are a better alternative.